Monday, March 21, 2011

Empty Cup

Today we learned that the senior pastor will be telling the rest of the staff of his situation. I approach this with a combination of relief (finally everyone on staff on the same page) and apprehension (how will they all react?). I cannot imagine how he is feeling. I find it difficult, because I know that he needs a pastor in these moments, but also know that I am not at a place where I can offer that to him. I can support him, but also need to support the rest of the staff, and however they are feeling after tomorrow.

So, oh wise blog readers, today the question is...when you are new to a community, when you are new to a congregation, where do you go to get YOUR cup filled? I believe we cannot give to others when we are running on empty. And today, quite honestly? I am feeling just that.

Praying that God is filling your cups today,
Preaching Kate

2 comments:

  1. Getting your cup filled? Well...besides the obvious (scripture and prayer) I would say find a trusted spiritual adviser. As a pastor you need to have your own pastor. Who do you call if you are in the hospital, having a crisis, need someone to talk to. Your parishioners know who to call but what about you? This pastor of yours may not be close by (especially if you are new to an area), but you need to have your own pastor.

    Other ways I fill my cup is protecting my day off, using ALL my vacation time each year, read and stay connected to colleagues.

    I don't know if this helps the current situation but hopefully it helps in the long run. God bless you and your staff.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, heart of a pastor, your words ring true. I do my best to do all those things. The difficulty right now lies in the fact that right now my "pastor" (who doesn't have an M.Div, but is more pastoral than most pastors I know!), just had her first child, and is busy with her own stress! It is just in the difficulty in timing of things right now. But thank you for your thoughts and for your compassion. The people where you serve are blessed to have you...and your heart!

    ReplyDelete